Renowned Pakistani mountaineer Muhammad Ali Sadpara along with two other climbers from Iceland and Chile is reported to be missing during his winter climb on K2 and contact with the 3-member expedition has not been established since Friday.

Muhamad Ali Sadpara is a Pakistani mountaineer. He was part of the team which successfully achieved the first ever winter summit on Nanga Parbat in 2016. Both his teammates, Alex Txicon and Simone Moro, have gone on record stating that they could not have done it without Sadpara's brilliance.

Sadpara has successfully climbed four eight-thousanders in a calendar year and a total of eight in his career. His 20 year old son, Sajid Sadpara has also climbed K2 in 2019. They had teamed up with John Snorri for a joint K-2 Winter 2021 mission on 5th Feb 2021.

Sajid had to come back for a technical issue leaving the others at the Bottleneck, close to the summit. His father, John Snorri and the chilean Juan Pablo Mohr kept climbing up, but they didn't come back by night, as programmed. A rescue mission with two army helicopters has been organized on 6th Feb. Unfortunately the three climbers are still missing. The attempt started on 24 January 2021 and several attempts were made till 3rd Feb. Sajid Sadpara had to return back from C-4 due to malfunction of oxygen regulator.

Pakistan Army helicopters failed to trace missing mountaineer Ali Sadpara and his other team members who are on expedition to conquer K2 during the winters. After the unsuccessful search operation, the helicopters returned to Skardu. While they flew to a height of 7,000 metres in their attempt to locate the missing mountaineers, no clue to their whereabouts could be found. The helicopters then returned due to worsening weather and light conditions.

Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Overseas Pakistanis Zulfiqar Bukhari said Prime Minister Imran Khan and Chief of Army Staff Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa were "concerned and personally following all developments regarding our missing mountaineers".

Earlier, it was reported that the three climbers had managed to summit K2, prompting congratulations from government officials, including the Gilgit-Baltistan governor and chief minister. However, no official statement has been released in this regard and it is currently unclear whether they managed to summit the peak on Friday or not.